
I’ve played around with designing my own microprocessor-based single-board computers over the years. I was inspired originally by a Z80 project done by a rather unknown YouTuber, and then was very inspired after seeing Matt Sarnoff’s Ultim809 project. I always wanted a computer with a front panel full of LEDs and switches so I could program, quite literally, by hand. When you first start these types of projects, the most difficult part can be figuring out all the logic for memory mapping and I/O control, and if you don’t have a very wide logic analyzer like an HP 1650B then you need a way to single-step the clock and probe the buses. And that’s where the Clock Module DIP comes in!
It’s a beautifully simple module, with a 16MHz crystal and a 74HC4060 oscillator/divider which outputs 11 different frequency taps, from 16MHz all the way down to 976.5625Hz. There is also the all-important debounced single-step clock button, which is a must for static CPUs that can have their clocks stopped without issue (like the Z80). The other IC is a hex inverter in case you want the opposite phase clock output — this can be very useful for some microprocessors that require multi-phase clock outputs, though some need a 90° phase offset instead of 180° that the 74HC14 gives.
The best part is it’s fully through-hole, easy to assemble, and uses a reliable and easy-to-understand circuit. There’s even an SMD option if you want a smaller board! And, if you don’t want to bother with assembly, you can order it pre-assembled too. So the next time you’re breadboarding your 6809, Z80, 6800, or 6502, pick up a Clock Module from spartatux!
source https://blog.tindie.com/2026/09/clock-module-homebrew-sbc-tool/

No comments:
Post a Comment